Pre-requiste for becoming a Taxi Driver:
- Must be at least 30 years of age.
- Possess a valid class 3/3A driving licence.
- A Singapore Citizen.
- GCE'O' Level or 'N' Level pass in English (at least an D7 grade) / Level 3 or higher pass in English (WPL-CAT)
- Have at least a one year driving experience with a clean driving record.
As of 1 June 2012, TDVL holders will be allowed to extend their vocational licences up to 75 years old, subject to passing a special assessment annually.
STEP 1 - Apply For Vocational Licence (VL) to LTA
Submit LTA VL Application Form with a non-refundable application fee of $40 by post (cheque) or submit in person (cash or nets) to LTA (LTA Office, 10 Sin Ming Drive). The approval process takes about one month* from the date of application. You will be screened for criminal and traffic offences.
STEP 2 - Medical Examination
Upon LTA's approval of your Vocational Licence via mail, you will receive a medical form. You are required to undergo a complete medical check-up with a chest x-ray. To be done at any clinic in Singapore or SATA.
STEP 3 - Apply for TDVL Course
After recieving the VL from LTA and pass the medical examination, you may apply for TDVL course at Singapore Taxi Academy.
To register for course, please bring the following documents:
- LTA’s Approval Letter (Original Copy)
- Completed Medical Form with X-Ray results
- Documentary proof of pass in English (GCE 'O'/'N'level/WPL-CAT)
- A photocopy of your NRIC
- A photocopy of your Valid Class 3/3A Driving License
- Course fee of $335.00 by cash or cheque
TDVL Course consist of 5 modules over a 60 hours session classroom training. You may choose to attend normal or express courses.
Module 1: Taxi Service Overview & Road Safety
Module 2: Taxi Rules & Regulations
Module 3: Locate Destination
Module 4: Plan Routes
Module 5: Deliver Quality Taxi Service
Total amount of $335.00 per trainee (payment mode: NETS or cash), inclusive of training materials and one test fees:
Training materials ($50 per set) includes:
• 1 standard size street directory
• 1 standard size 'Driving in Singapore'
• 1 folded Singapore Map and CBD map
• 1 Driver's Route planning map
• A file of notes and worksheets
• 4 DVD video recordings of 40 standards routes
Test fees: $10 per registration, $5 per test section
Choose from Full-time or Part-time courses:
20 days (5-6 days per week)
per day (7.00pm - 10.00pm)
10 days (5-6 days per week)
2 lessons per day (10.00am - 1.00pm & 2.00pm - 5.00pm)
There will be tests at the end of the course on all modules using touch screen tablets. Candidates have to pass all modules (1 to 5) to attain the TDVL Licence. Licence is issued within one month by the LTA.
>> TDVL Course Schedule
>> TDVL Course Matters